Sunday, August 2, 2009

Protecting Our Children

Here's an interesting letter from someone who wishes to protect her kids. What do you all think?

taken from the Yated:

As an avid reader of the Yated, I feel compelled to write after reading a letter in last week's Readers Write.

Like countless others, I am a parent who carefully screens my children's reading material (both for content and for age appropriateness). I have always felt comfortable bringing the Yated into my home each week and having it enjoyed by all my children. That's why last week's letter was so upsetting to me. I am referring to the letter about abuse written by "Happy Girl."

I strongly believe that there is a major need for public awareness of this problem, and in your editorial several weeks ago, you did just that. You brought up this serious matter in an appropriate and delicate manner. However, it was disturbing to see such a letter printed in the middle of your highly popular Readers Write column, which is read and disected by kids of all ages, as I can attest to. It is the responsibility of all parents to do the utmost to ensure the physical and emotional wellbeing of their children, and to educate them in all matters of safety as tehy grow up. But it should be left to the parents' discretion as to how and when to do so, particualarly when dealing with a topic as sensitive as abuse. I don't believe that education should come from a Readers Write column which is read by kids all over the world.

Please save these issues for parts of your paper that are clearly geared to adults, such as your weekly editorial which I enjoy so much.

Thank you for your wonderful newspaper which my family enjoys week after week. Keep up the great work.

2 comments:

  1. I respectfully disagree. It is exactly in such places that such letters are needed, so people can see them. For parents who wish to control what content their children read, they should take a glance at what's there before handing it over to their children.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you want to protect your children? let them read it. its not graphic at all, and it didnt even trigger me, a survivor. they need to know or they will be joining our ranks, chas veshalom.

    ReplyDelete

please be kind to all the survivors whose letters will be posted, we need gentle love, not bashing!