Wednesday, July 15, 2009

the first letter

my original letter:

I want to commend you for having the courage to come out in the open and discuss a topic as controversial and uncomfortable as abuse and molestation in the frum communities. Please realize that as difficult as it is for you to write about it, imagine how much more difficult it is for someone like me, for whom it is a daily reality.
Nobody is quite sure when my abuse started. We assume that it went on for about five years, before I somehow mustered up the courage to tell my parents that a close relative of mine was continuously abusing me. On a steady basis, my privacy and humanity were being violated in the most horrific ways. It's been ten years since then. Ten years of therapy, of depression, of medication, of guilt. Ten years in which the mere mention of my abuser's name sets off panic attacks. Ten years of nightmares. Ten years of torture.
And the worst part, as Rabbi Lipshitz mentioned, is the shame and the silence. My very own family members know that I have some 'issues' but they think it is just me. What they don't know is that it is not me, but rather a very sick and perverted relative of theirs. What they don't know is that I suffer silently. I suffer from such a complete lack of understanding from everyone around me. I am constantly fielding shidduch calls, but people don't realize that I can't even dream about going on a date with a man. I have memories that none of my peers can understand. I have urges to do things that nobody around me can begin to imagine. I have thoughts, feelings and ideas that would make some of my friends run from me.
I believe that proper support is the first step towards healing, and therefore, I am working {together with rabbanim and therapists} to develop a network of girls from frum homes who have been abused, and are looking to heal together with me. Please email me: littlesheffele@gmail.com
Thank you for your courage, and for your support, and for giving us this voice,

Little Sheep

what the yated published:

I want to commend you for having the courage to come out in the open and discuss a topic as controversial and uncomfortable as abuse in the frum community. Please realize that as difficult as it is for you to write about it, imagine how much more difficult it is for someone like me, for whom it is a daily reality. On a steady basis, my humanity was being violated in the most horrific ways. It's been ten years since then. ten years of therapy, depression, medication, and guilt. Ten years during which the mere mention of my abusers name set off panic attacks. Ten years of nightmares. Ten years of torture.

And the worst part, as rabbi lipshutz mentioned, is the shame and silence. My very own family members know that I have some "issues", but they think it's just me.

What they don't know is that I suffer silently. I suffer from such a complete lack of understanding from everyone around me. I believe that proper support is the first step towards healing, and therefore, I am working, together with rabbanim and therapists, to develop a network of individuals from frum homes who have been abused and can look to heal together with me.

Thank you for your courage, for your support, and for giving us this voice.

(and despite the fact that i signed it as little sheep, they chose to sign me off as "name withheld")

3 comments:

  1. Here is the thing: whether or not they were strong enough to post it, you were strong enough to write and submit it! And for that, I hope you are proud!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad that Yated published your letter but sorry they withheld recognition of your chosen pen name. It is a perfect name for capturing the contrast between the frum value of treasuring our children and your struggle to regain your sense of being protected and safe.

    I wish you all success in both of your efforts and a refuah shelemah for you and for our entire community.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow... i am crying so hard... i was also molested... definitely not as bad but the first man i spoke to in four years was my sem principal and that set off panic attacks like not normal... i suffer from PTSD and depression and a whole host of other things and i BEG society to OPEN YOUR EYES!!! my molester was an esteemed rosh kollel's son, who when confronted, begged my parents to keep it quiet... if you have been abused in any way PLEASE share it, PLEASE tell someone, PLEASE save yourself...
    I know how much it hurts but it huirts more not to...
    Davening for you all and hoping it all ends soon

    ReplyDelete

please be kind to all the survivors whose letters will be posted, we need gentle love, not bashing!